Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why I Write Supernatural Fiction

            The supernatural has always been a part of my life so my writing is automatically embedded with elements of a numinous nature.  The supernatural is thoroughly tied with my spirituality.  Ever since I could remember, I would look at the natural world and be in complete awe of the intricate workings of it.  I felt that I was a part of ethereal miraculous machine called life and I was a breathing, living soul.  The spirits loomed around me as I laid on the grass looking into the clouds.  I could feel the whole of myself and knew in my heart that I was a part of something invisible, indestructible, terrific, and powerful.  I knew this because I was me.  My thoughts were my own.  My mind worked differently from my siblings, my parents, my friends.  I was individual.  I was free thinking.  I danced on my toes on the hard wood floors, spinning songs with my feet and laughing lyrics in my heart.  I picked flowers because I thought they were beautiful like me.  I cried tears of fear when I first witnessed the infinity of stars twinkling.  I knew that the sky was a canvas and a new painting was waiting for me each sunset.  Poetry was in each breath I drew.  I sat at the knee of my great-grant mother listening to her ghost stories and dream divining to catch glimpses of the divine.  I saw eternity in my mother’s eyes and temporary sanctuary in my father’s arms.  All of this was not by coincidence.  It was sacred space made by something.  Something that created me and placed me in a time and space to relish it.
            I have always known that I was a part of something supernatural.  There had to be something inside this physical form that held the emotional galaxy of my being.  Creativity flowed from my fingertips as I learned to pen the dark twists of my imagination.  Fear pulsated from my bones when I learned that my dreams were not mere unconscious fancies but messages tapping into that enormous thing that connected my mortal and immortal self.
            The supernatural is a part of who I am. My words are merely a reflection on me.
            Learn more about me, my books, and my journeys through the supernatural, flights of fancy, and adventure through sci-fi/fantasy and poetry at www.violettemeier.com.




2 comments:

  1. Beautifully woven prose that evokes deep imagery, old memories and powerful emotion— thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with James in that your words are able to bring me right to where you are as I take in the view. I can almost see your great-grandmother's face or smell the beautiful picked flower. Your site is impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete