Monday, January 11, 2016

Ode to the Goblin King!


Today David Bowie took his last breath after an almost two year long battle with cancer.  Fans across the world lament this musical genius; my husband one of them.  But, for me, I will not remember Bowie for his music, although he was a pure artist and the epitome of original creativity.  I will remember the beautiful yet frightening Goblin King he played in the movie Labyrinth. 

As a child, I remember the first time I saw Bowie prance across the TV screen fondling his crystal ball and singing Dance Magic Dance.  I was enthralled by his giant, glittery hair and his wayward eye lined eyes.  His tight pants made me giggle, and I admired the way he reigned over his obedient goblins with flippant authority.

In my twelve year old eyes, he was simply fantastic!  He made my young heart pitter-patter and yarn to be swept away into his grungy kingdom.   I remember telling my mother that I liked him so much because he looked so good and behaved so badly.  My mother said that she hated that I ever said that.  Her fear was that I would grow up and fall in love with a notorious bad boy.  Never fear mom, my love affair with Bowie began and ended there; but upon reading about his death this morning, I could not help but to be saddened by his departure.  He was the first man I didn’t look at with innocent eyes.  I guess you can say he took my mental virginity.  Now he is gone. The world has lost a true character and a remarkable artist.

All I can do is bid you ado my Goblin King, save me a dance on the other side! 

To learn more about Violette, visit www.violettemeier.com

2 comments:

  1. This was a great and fitting tribute to the multidisciplinary artist that was David Bowie. May he rest in peace and Let's Dance in celebration of his creative genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. I still don't understand why loving me means hating you. I don't even think what she said was overly controversial. It just scratched the surface and main stream culture lost it. What a disappointment. They don't want us to get ahead.

    ReplyDelete